I started to crochet in January 2018. I am self taught with the help of YouTube videos. Along the way I have stumbled through learning and I wanted to pass along a few tips to those looking to start! Some of these tips I read or was told by others, and some are my own recommendations. All YouTube channels/people that I reference will be linked at the bottom! Happy Crocheting!
*Post contains affiliate links and I may receive a small commission from any purchases made through them*
1. Start small: I don’t recommend starting off by finding an Afghan pattern right off the bat. When I was trying to decide if I wanted to learn crochet or not, I was looking at Afghan blankets, throw blankets, sweaters…etc.. you get the idea… BUT Start small, practice learning stitch types and counting your stitches. Mikey over at The Crochet Crowd has a lot of videos and tutorials. He also has a scarf tutorial that has quite a few stitches incorporated into it. Link to
2. Count you stitches: Make sure to count your stitches when you first begin! This will help you keep your work square, later on I’ll link my favorite YouTube channels that will help you with this! Bella Coco, Sewrella and Mikey all have videos about how to know when you missed a stitch or added stitches. they also offer some tips as to how to keep your corners square. Counting stitches is the best way to make sure you are not missing any or adding any stitches though.
3. Use larger hooks/yarn: using larger yarn and larger hooks will help you see what you are doing easier than if you start off with fine yarn. I found that starting out with a 8mm or 10mm hook helped me with tension. I seem to always grasp items too tightly, including my pens and pencils… so starting out with larger hooks has helped me to not make my projects too tight where I am unable to fit my hook through. I still haven’t found a bulky yarn I like more than Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick.
Susan Bates 5-1/2-Inch Bamboo Handle Silvalume Head Crochet Hook, 8mm, Silver Pink
Lion Brand Yarn 641-099 Wool-Ease Thick and Quick Bonus Bundle Yarn, Fisherman
4. Use a lighter color: do not do what I did and start with dark grey…. it’s hard to see what you are doing, what stitch you need to go in, where you left etc. Trust me, Start with light!
5. JUST START AND HAVE FUN! There is no wrong way to start, so just START! Pinterest is a wealth of knowledge for ideas, free patterns, and tips on how to get better at crocheting!
YouTubers: Sewrella, Bella Coco, The Crochet Crowd with Mikey
Products I love:
Susan Bates 5-1/2-Inch Bamboo Handle Silvalume Head Crochet Hook, 5.5mm, Red
Susan Bates Bamboo & Aluminum Crochet Hooks-Set of 14 Crochet Hooks
Yarn for Baby Blankets:
Caron Simply Soft Solids Yarn (4) Medium Gauge 100% Acrylic – 6 oz – Green – Machine Wash & Dry
Premier Yarns Dne 101-14 Everyday Baby Yarn-Aqua
Yarn Bulk Buys: RED HEART E400PK.1401 With Love Yarn 3-Pack, Pewter